Museum of Us
This weekend, Mitchell was away, so I had to occupy myself.
On Wednesday, I went to Lord of the Rings trivia night which was very fun. We were such a big group, we had to split into two. We had a fun team (which I was on) and team set out to win. Our team came somewhere in the middle, and our pro team came fifth, which was actually pretty low down for us, but the competition was tough.
On Saturday I took myself to San Diego for the day. My first stop was to La Jolla to see the sea lions. They were as noisy as ever and I saw a few pups. After checking in on them, I went to find myself some breakfast and settled on a smoothie bowl with strawberries, coconut, goji berries and cacao nibs.
I ate this by the sea, and then went to do a little bit of shopping. I looked around a bookstore and then went to a thrift store (thinking I'd find some good items in a rich area) and got a couple of new bits for work.
After this, I went to Balboa Park to go to a museum. We'd walked by the Museum of Us a few times, but had never been in, so I decided today was the day. They had exhibits on the Mayans, beer making across the world, people and animals and secrets. It was pretty cool, and although some bits were a bit dated, it was clear they were actively trying to update and improve all the time.
I had a break in the courtyard with some tea and a lemon and lavender cookie, and then it was over to the other side of the museum for the cannibal exhibition. This was very interesting, and started out with media portrayals of cannibals, then went through old accounts from explorers like Captain Cook, shipwrecks and disasters where survivors have eaten each other, how people have used body parts as medicine, and the infamous Donner party in the early US.
This week I also started one of my new jobs. In the mornings, I now work back at the Botanic Gardens, welcoming visitors and answering their questions about the gardens. It's not always busy, so when it's not, I get to read my book out in the sunshine which is very nice.
Love,
Emily and Mitchell
xxxxxxxxxxxxx






Comments
Post a Comment