Mitchell's very bad week
Hey it's Mitchell writing this one!
First some back story
So for almost 2 months at this point my knee has been swollen, I stopped cycling to work when I realised it wasn't going down but carried on doing our various hikes, dancing at our wedding, going to a music festival etc. It would off and on hurt a bit after the wedding and I saw a doctor soon after we'd got back and I'd had an Xray confirming that my bones were fine.
Well this week after the dancing and then walking across the beach my knee was hurting to put weight on it. It wasn't super painful but it was getting to the point I was very concerned I was doing permenant damage by not letting it heal. After trying in vain to talk to my doctor on the phone about what to do now the xray had come in, and taking a day working from home so I could lie in bed, doing all my experiments sat down, and borrowing a crutch from a friend, on Friday after a morning at work Emily took me to urgent care. It was basically just a walk in doctors office but we didn't wait as long as I was worried we would. They were worried it might be an infection and send me across the road to the emergency room, Emily dropped me off and went home to have her late lunch and in decent time I had blood taken and another Xray done. I then waited for 4 hours to hear anything about them, eventually the doctor said they think it might be a torn meniscus and recommended I try to get an MRI but suggested against staying to get it that day (as it was 10pm and I hadn't eaten dinner I agreed entirely!). So I'm now back to trying to contact my doctor about an MRI while being a bit more careful with my leg.
We don't have a bill for that yet but the insurance should cover all of it, it didn't feel very different to my experience in British hospitals other than the constant concern of how much it will cost hanging over me while I was there, so I don't think the American system has any benefit over the NHS despite people thinking it should be more efficient cos of the money coming from somewhere else.
On Saturday Emily bought me a compress for my knee and we had a quiet day at home. Unfortunately after a couple hours wearing the compress my knee started hurting when just sitting down and we realised it was too tight, my foot had even started turning a bit blue! whoops!
On Sunday we stuck with our recovery weekend plans but had a couple friends over to play some board games with us, Klaudia and Jaz. I was glad we still got to do something as I was feeling very bad for cancelling plans we had with Klaudia to go paddle boarding and I know Emily likes to get out, fortunately she did get a chance earlier in the week to go for a cycle ride without me.
Emily's note: I did go out to Lake Perris during the week as I'd picked up a State Park pass from the library last week when I went to get a book. It's a nine mile loop and when I went it was a beautiful sunny day. There were still so many flowers around, and it lit up the lake.



Comments
Post a Comment