Aquarium of the pacific

This Sunday, we went to Long Beach to visit the aquarium. Our friends had gone a few weeks ago and had told us all about it, so we were excited to go and see the fish!

Saturday was a slow day for us. We spoke to Mitchell's dad in the morning because he's coming to visit soon, so we planned our week out together. We thought about going to visit a very pretty Hindu temple, but it wasn't great weather, so we decided to save that visit for when it's a bit sunnier. Mitchell also had some work to do, so while he did that I went to Target to get some frames for my certificates so that I can hang them up in my office. 

But Sunday was exciting! We drove down and arrived shortly after noon. Our first exhibit had some big fish and small sharks, and later on in the day we saw some divers go in and feed them. We also saw the lifecycle of a jellyfish, elaborate cuttlefish, frogs, penguins, a giant octopus, sea otters, bioluminescent jellyfish, puffins, seals and sealions. They had a pool where you could touch the rays and they seemed to like being stroked, they would all come up to the side and splash until you petted them. There was also a big pool with sea turtles and we saw a big shark with a lot of rows of teeth! 

These are tiny baby jellyfish



We had a whale of a time

Turtle!

It was pretty big (but I think the one I went to in Portugal is still my favourite) and was set up like a museum with different rooms rather than a normal aquarium where you're forced round in one direction. They also do whale and dolphin tours from just outside on the harbour, so we'll be back for that, I want to go in blue whale season! 

We spent nearly four hours there and then went for a little walk outside. It's right on the water and there was a little grassy patch with a lighthouse at the end. 



Until next time (when I'm sure we'll have lots to tell you about)

Emily and Mitchell

xxxxxxxxxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

England and Wales

New Zealand

Japan pt 1: Tokyo and Kyoto