My new job and lots of food
This weekend we took the car to be serviced before I started work, to make sure she'll be reliable for my first weeks and beyond. While we waited, we went out for breakfast at a new place in the town centre. It was very pretty inside, with big windows and they are very into their coffee. Neither of us had the coffee (I had a chai latte and Mitchell an orange juice) but we did enjoy some tasty food.
We picked the car up (which was much cheaper than last time as all they replaced was a windscreen wiper) and then headed into Downtown Riverside for the Dickens festival.
This festival was run by the literary society and celebrated all things Victorian. There were people dressed up and running panels and Q&As as Jules Verne, Mary Shelley, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen and more. There were also a lot of regular people who decided to dress up, just to attend. It was really fun seeing all the costumes and looking at the stalls selling clothes and hats.
We also visited the foodlab and went to the ice-cream place for the first time. Usually, we're too full from the other food we've eaten, but this time we went straight there! We were going to get an ice-cream sandwich each, but they said it's enough for two, so we shared one. We chose two big m&m cookies, chocolate lavender ice-cream, earl grey and blueberry ice-cream, and topped it with sprinkles. It was huge! And very tasty.
On Monday I started my new job! It's in the city of Riverside, so it takes me only 15 minutes to get there in the morning which is the shortest commute I've ever had! I'm the marketing and digital communications coordinator, overseeing thirty libraries in the Riverside County Library System. It's attached to one of the county's libraries, but I'm up in the management office. I have my own (giant) office, so I need to go shopping to find pot plants and posters to fill it with. It's quite small with only a few of us in each day, but everyone is very friendly. I'm excited to get some ideas going and start some projects!
On Tuesday, Mitchell had been invited to a trivia social by the post-doc union on campus, so I met him after work to go meet some people. However, when we got there, there didn't seem to be any sort of organised group or event that we could see, so we left. As we were already on campus, we went to the hub and got some tacos and had a little date night instead. We also walked back to the car via the back roads, hoping to see some night time raccoons, but no luck.
On Thursday, I joined the girls from Mitchell's lab to go to the Art Walk. We got some pizza and then I bought a little crocheted dinosaur keyring and a ring stand from a vendor.
That's all for this weekend, we've had quite an exciting day today, but I'll tell you all about it next week!
Until next time,
Emily and Mitchell
xxxxxxxxxx
Comments
Post a Comment